Halloween is one of the hardest holidays to celebrate for those living a zero waste lifestyle.. so here are some handy tips 🙂
- Make your own costumes out of old clothes of second hand clothes
- Sell the homemade costumes on ebay after your done with them
- DIY Face Paint (LINK)
- DIY Fake Blood (LINK)
Trick or treating
- Trick or treat close to home so you can walk to save fuel
- Go trick or treating while avoiding using plastic, use a material bag such as a tote bag to hold the lollies you get instead. You could even get your kids to decorate the bag themselves or you could even use a pillow case.
- Try to choose eco-friendly packaging when buying lollies such as cardboard.
- Choose tangible items instead to cut down on the use of plastic
- Give out homemade treats or baked goods as treats instead
- Make your own decorations
- Turn your Jack O Lanterns into pumpkins soup
- Use the rind of the pumpkin as compost
- Use the seeds of the pumpkins as bird feed or add them to mixed nuts or even eat them on their own because they are just soo good for you!
- If your throwing a party, make you own drinks e.g. lemonade, chocolate milk etc. then put it in a glass jar, make up a spooky name, put it on a label and decorate it and viola.